FASTag is a sticker that acts radio frequency identification technology for giving toll payments. FASTag is connected to either a prepaid card or to your savings account/digital wallet. FASTag is fixed on the windscreen of the assigned vehicle and permits motorists to drive through toll plazas without pausing for cash transactions. When a car passes through a toll, an SMS with date, time, and place of the operation will be forwarded to the owner of the vehicle. The master data of all sales will be with the concessionaire of the toll booth concerned, along with the bank with which the owner has registered the FASTag and the National Payments Corporation of India. The FASTag has lifetime validity and is vehicle dependent. Two-wheelers, autorickshaws, and other small vehicles that do not have to pay toll currently do not need the FASTag.
Recharge Process of FASTag
If the FASTag is already connected with your bank account, then there is no require to insert money separately in a prepaid wallet. You only need to confirm that your FASTag-linked bank account has enough balance between permitting for toll payments. However, if you have connected with the FASTag to a prepaid wallet (NHAI prepaid wallet), then it can be recharged through many channels like payment through cheque or through UPI/debit card/ credit card/ NEFT/ Net Banking. Also, additional charges will be deducted while recharging the FASTag account through various channels. Moreover, there is a cap on the maximum balance, which can be placed in the prepaid wallet. As per regulations, these limits are
1) For limited KYC FASTag account holder: This type of FASTag cannot have more than Rs 20,000 in their FASTag prepaid wallet. The monthly loaded limit is also capped at Rs 20000.
2) For full KYC FASTag account holder: This type of FASTag account cannot have more than Rs 1 lakh in their FASTag prepaid wallet. There is no monthly loaded cap in this account, according to the website of Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL).
Is there any cashback on toll payments using FASTag?
There is no capping on the Cashback amount. Cashback will be credited in the FASTag wallet in the 2nd month of the transaction month. For example, if the transaction is done in June, then cashback will be returned in August. For FY 2019-20, it is 2.5%, Cashback communication takes place from IHMCL/ NHAI, and it is subject to change from time to time.
Apply Online for FASTag via Banks
1) Go the official website of the banks like SBI, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank who are authorized to sell FASTags
2) Search and click on the ‘Get FASTag’ / ‘Apply for FASTag’ link given on the homepage of the website
3) Insert your mobile number. An OTP will be forwarded on the mobile number registered by you. Give the OTP and click on submit
4) Next, insert your personal details (name, email id, address, etc., vehicle details (the type of vehicle, registration number, etc.. upload documents (like a scanned copy of vehicle RC).
5) Review all the details filled in the application form before final submission
6) After the introduction of the application form online, you will be redirected to an online payment gateway for fee payment
7) Save the copy of the FASTag receipt and payment receipt. You can also take a print out of the same for further reference
Offline process of FASTag
Vehicle owners can travel any of the Point of Sale (POS. locations at Toll Plazas / Bank branches) to take FASTag offline.
Charges for FASTag
Charges for FASTag has a onetime fee of Rs. 200, Reissuance fee of Rs 100 and Refundable security deposit of Rs 200. (Note that the Security Deposit may differ based on the vehicle type.)
Deadline of FASTag
Government extends the date of FASTag installation up to December 15, 2019
Search of FASTag
You can purchase FASTags from branches or online services of banks, including SBI, HDFC, ICICI, Bank of Baroda, Axis, City Union Bank. The FASTag is also being provided at the NHAIâ€™s points of sale at all toll plazas, PayTM, e-commerce websites like Amazon, and Road Transport Authority (RTA) offices.
A ‘My FASTag’ app is also available for customers to purchase the tags online. If customers buy cards online, the bank or wallet will go the map to the customer’s address. Documents needed to apply for FASTag: Copy of registration certificate of the vehicle, passport size photographs of the vehicle owner, ID proof, and address proof.